Looks like Verizon is still at its “were not blocking Google Wallet but you can’t use it because we are blocking it” tricks again. Looks like a letter sent to the FCC about it shows they are still blocking it because they say it uses a “secure element” in the device. This sounds funny because when Google Wallet came out they said it was insecure and they didn’t want it for that reason, now they are saying sorry it’s too secure and you can’t use it.
But what this boils down to, Verizon is building their own mobile payments system and will most likely be using the same “secure element” in the phone and made so you can’t uninstall it unless you root and rip it out. I have Google Wallet on my rooted Galaxy Nexus and it works just fine, of course it says it’s not a supported device being a Verizon phone and rooted. Too bad Google doesn’t just make it available on the Play Store and disregard the block Verizon is putting on it.
If you’re looking for a Dual SIM phone but want a good smart phone you may want to check out the Samsung GALAXY S DUOS. It has 2 SIM card slots that are always on, Android 4.0, 4.0″ screen, and 4GB internal storage. No info has been given on the processer or speed and is said to be out in September in Europe.
- Network: HSDPA 7.2 M 900/2100 EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900
- Display: 4.0″ WVGA(480×800) TFT
- OS: Android Ice Cream Sandwich
- Camera: Main(Rear) : 5 Megapixel camera with LED flash Front: VGA Camera
- Memory: 4GB internal memory microSD (up to 32GB)
- Battery: Standard battery, Li-ion 1,500 mAh
- Other: A-GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, WI-FI, MicroUSB, Samsung TouchWiz, Stereo FM Radio
Dual SIM isn’t something popular in the United States, part because half the carriers use CDMA and part because plans are so expensive. But in Europe and Asia most people like dual SIM so they can have their work and personal phone numbers on the same device and only have to carry one phone with them.
Will keep an eye out for more details and release dates.
If you are looking for an Android Tablet with a stylus you may want to check out the Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 that includes what they call the S Pen that is like a WACOM pen and not the nub that most touch screen devices get. It uses an active digitizer so if you the creative type this can make drawing or writing on the screen easy and accurate. Many people who had the 5″ Samsun GALAXY Note phone liked how good the pen was and how big the screen was.
As for specs it has a 1.4 GHz quad-core processer, Android 4.0 ICS, HSPA+ Quad Band, 5 Megapixel and 1.9 Megapixel cameras, S Pen, and loaded with a bunch of S Pen friendly apps.
- 1.4 GHz quad-core processor
- Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- HSPA＋ 21-Mbps (HSDPA 21Mbps / HSUPA 5.76Mbps) Quad Band 850/900/1900/2100 MHz
- Main(Rear): 5 Megapixel Auto Focus Camera with LED Flash Sub(Front): 1.9 Megapixel VT Camera
- 16/32/64GB User memory ＋ 2GB (RAM) microSD (up to 64GB)
- Standard battery, Li-ion 7,000mAh
- Bluetooth v4, WiFi, mHL, IR LED, USB 2.0 Host, 3.5mm Ear Jack
Below is a video put out by Samsung showing off what you can do with the S Pen and some of the extra apps built into the tablet.